SailNet Community - View Single Post - Raymarine Autohelm ST1000 Problems And Raymarine Warranty
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2007

petertribo is on a distinguished road
Raymarine Autohelm ST1000 Problems And Raymarine Warranty

I have a 2500# trimaran and sail mostly singlehanded.

I bought a Raymarine Autohelm ST1000 with a wire remote two years ago last month. The first year all was OK.

Last year the remote went. That was a story in itself. I was told Raymarine did not make wire remote any more, only wireless and they would "upgrade" me to that for a fee. Hmmm. That' s not what I bought and wasn't the warranty provision. Finally, they found a wire remote somewhere.

Later last year, the display went. I continued to sail with it as it was peak season. Then the whole deal just fritzed out, couldn't keep a course at all. So, after sailing season, I brought it in still under warranty. I picked it up later in the winter. In the spring, I tried it on the boat, it did not work. Had to bring it back and they fixed it in early June.

Now the display is gone again and, if past performance is an indicator, the unit will eventually completely fail.

Even though this is about one month past warranty, with the down time I have experienced and the fact that the unit has failed in exactly the same manner as before, they should honor the warranty. I think actually that for all the hassle, they should give me a new unit. Anybody had a similar experience? What about Raymarine warranties in general. What good is a warranty when your unit is down during sailing season.

I did some research on the ST1000 on the net and found comments to the effect that you get any sort of water near it and it LEAKS. Here is one of those comments to wrap it a waterproof piece of canvas all the way to the trim tab. Have never had a single problem."

So, maybe I should take it apart, dry it out and apply the low tech solution above. Sounds to me like they know all about this defect, get you past the two year warranty and then you either pay them large fees or get another unit.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook