SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina vs. Hunter
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 07-15-2007
SEMIJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drylander
Hi,

I have just registered. I do apologize if the question I am about to ask was already discussed 1,000 times. Just point me to the right thread please.
Thread? LOL! Threads, my friend. I asked a similar question not long ago. Somebody else just a day or two ago. The beat goes on .

Here's the thread from a day or two ago: Newbies need help choosing a boat?
Here's my thread from a month or so back: Hunter Build Quality?
And here's where somebody asked similar questions back in 2001: First time sail boat buyer

Read JeffH's responses very carefully.

Quote:
I have no boat, but have a desire to get one. It has to be a Sail Boat.
Have you ever sailed before? On anything, of any size?

Quote:
It has to be not expensive (less than $25k preferably) and it has to fit my family (wife + two kids).
"Fit" is a relative term. Some families might do well on a two week vacation in a 28' boat. Others might need family counseling after a weekend in a 42' boat.

Quote:
Also it has to be easy in handling:
"Easy handling" is so relative. True: There are some boats that are, for many reasons, more difficult to handle than others, but largely it comes down to the sailor's abilities.

Quote:
I have never sailed in my life.
Ah, question #1 answered. You really need to get some sailing time in. I recommend local ASA 101, and perhaps 103, classes. Both you and your wife. Y'all will be sailing short-handed. One or the other of you may be required to sail it alone if the other becomes sick or injured. Looked at another way: Either of your two lives, and the lives of your children, may well depend on your and your wife's ability to sail the boat alone.

Quote:
I do not plan to race it, but rather take family for weekends.
The former pastime is arguably safer than the latter.

Quote:
I have so far seen Catalina and Hunter (30 - 35'; 1980 - 1990). All opinions about those two or any other boats of similar size/price are welcome.
I would recommend this is not the way to approach this project. Better would be to spend some time learning about sailing and sailboats (Sailnet is a very good resource for both of these), learn how to sail, and then go looking for a sailboat. Buying a sailboat is more like buying a house than a car.

As far as Catalina or Hunter boats: Some people like one, the other or both of them; others don't think much of one, the other or both of them; and still others think one, the other or both of them built some good boats, some not-so-good boats. After much discussion here and researching elsewhere, we were looking at other models. (Note: Our budget was about half yours, and our size range was 28' to 30'.) OTOH: The first boat we looked at was a 27' Catalina. The only reason we passed on it was 27' just wasn't quite big enough, for our needs, for cruising. Last weekend we sailed a 34' Hunter for two days, as part of our ASA 101 and ASA 103 classes, and it seemed a nice enough boat. Not my cup of tea, but nice enough. I guess.

Quote:
Thanks!
You're quite welcome. And welcome to the sport and art of sailing!

Jim
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome