SailNet Community - View Single Post - Plotting A Course: Lake Erie to Lake St. Clair
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wescarroll
You got most of it right,
Great! Thanks

Quote:
you have to allow for the current, and leave early to reach Trenton before waning daylight.
We plan to leave pretty early each day. Like 8 or 9 a.m.

Quote:
There are spots near the Detroit light that the charts show shoaling though I have never had a problem there,
Hmmm... I just looked at my chart ("Waterproof chart #28) and it doesn't appear to indicate any shoaling near either Detroit light. Where do you see this?

Quote:
I tend to get into the channels early and stay there.
It looks like, to my amateur chart-reading eyes, I can take a straight shot from just out of the marina (after clearing the shallows either side of its channel) to the Detroit light? Then, yes: Plan to stay in the channels until out on St. Clair.

Quote:
Watch out for the recreational boaters here, as they will go any direction at any time with out looking for any one sailboats or freighters, and the river is a bit constricting at times.
There's a surprise

Quote:
Also look back for freighters as they seem to come out of nowhere from behind.
I've heard that. Not just there but in freighter channels, in general. Thanks for the warning.

Quote:
Be careful at the north end of Grosse Isle, as the channels meet oddly and there may be shallows.
Will do!

Quote:
There are several yacht clubs in the area, and one of those might be able to help you with an over night slip, a couple on Grosse Isle (the Grosse Isle Yacht Club comes to mind) and a few more on the mainland.
We were planning on getting a bit further up-river, into the Wyandotte area, on the first day's sail, to make sure we'd have plenty of time on day 2, for getting to our new slip.

Quote:
You must pass Belle Isle on the Canadian side if you are in a sailboat, as the Belle Isle Bridge has very limited clearance, and stay in the channel to the canadian side.
Yup

Quote:
When you pass I think it is called Peache island and the range light you should be able to set a course for Metro Beach, but again you will be pushing it to get there during bright daylight.
We have been told the entire trip, were we to attempt it in one go, would take 13-15 hours, depending on weather conditions. Wyandotte is about the half-way point, it looks like. If it takes us 6-8 hours to get to our first overnight, we should have plenty of time to make it to where we're going on day 2, no?

Quote:
Good luck, and have fun. Keep your fuel tanks full as once you pass downtown Detroit it is a bit difficult to get fuel.
Thanks! We plan to refuel at our overnight stop. (That's one thing on my checklist: Ask the PO about "gas mileage.")

Quote:
It is a very interesting trip, but not really what you would call scenic. Wes Carroll
So I'm led to believe. It'd be much more interesting if we could do (more of) it under sail, but ya gotta do what you gotta do, eh?

Thanks, Wes!

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook