SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina vs. Hunter
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
In that price range for what you want, Catalina is going to provide you with more selection. On the West coast there are lots of 30's for sale. On yachtworld there are 54 Catalinas under 25k between 27 and 30', while there are only 4 Hunters in California. They are great boats, especially for a first boat. Easy to sail, lots of room, and built fairly solid. I would not get anything bigger than 30' for your first boat, while you may be able to sail it, upkeep, motoring and docking will be too difficult. Don't be tempted to spend more and buy a Hunter from the 1990's with some crazy rig design, not a good first boat to have. You will learn to sail differently than all other rig designs. If you really like Hunters, get an older Cherubini or Legend design. Find a friend that has a sailboat already that can go with you to look and point out good and bad things, don't trust the brokers. While not for everyone, you may want to consider buying into a local charter/school program. Hunter has a pretty good one, where you buy a new Hunter and they charter it. You get to use it the rest of the time, your payments are taken care of through the charter, they will teach you to sail it, and after about three years, you retain ownership. There are some down sides to this. The boat can get pretty beat up. I don't know all the particulars, but some people like it. New Hunters are not as bad as the older ones. Look here: Sail locally at a fraction of the cost with SailTime fractional sailing

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 07-15-2007 at 01:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook