SailNet Community - View Single Post - Plotting A Course: Lake Erie to Lake St. Clair
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort
The Detroit River at downdown gets very choppy at times. Wind against current plus powerboat traffic can make it miserable. Try to get there early.
As early as we can! Ideally we'll have time to get where we're going and relax on the boat with friends for a bit before the sun goes down.

Quote:
The Trenton channel will be the nicest part of the trip.
I'd take the Trenton Channel all the way up, but I don't want to have to rely on the good graces of the drawbrige operators .

Quote:
If you are going past Metro Beach/Black Creek, watch for the very weedy area just off Metro Beach. Stay well east of that spot, the weeds plus the shallow water will cause you grief. It's marked on the chart but a lot of boats cut across that area.
Past? No, not past. Well, past Metro Beach, then into a canal system entrance at Black Creek. That's the route to my buddy's house, where we'll be slipping the boat. Yeah, I can see the problem areas on the chart. He's going to come out and rendezvous with us and lead us in. Thanks for the caution.

Quote:
If you need to make a third day, Keans marina near the Roostertail makes a good stop. The Nautical Mile marinas in St Cl Sh have transient slips but I don't know what channel they monitor. You might have to cruise up to the gas dock to ask, they have plenty of empty slips these days!
We shouldn't need a third day, I should think. But thanks for the suggestions. I'll make a note of those facilities, Just In Case.

Thanks,
Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook