SailNet Community - View Single Post - Plotting A Course: Lake Erie to Lake St. Clair
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wescarroll
I have never been able to make it in 13 to 14 hours. I usually spend a few hours anchored in a small cove off Wyandotte near a small island I don't have the name of at the moment. Not the most comfortable place, but out of everyone elses way. I got there around 11:30 PM after leaving at 11 in the morning.
Whoa! Nearly 12 hours to about 1/2-way up the Detroit River? Maybe you're coming from further away than we will be? Seller said about 4 hours to Grosse Ile. Can't be more than another four hours, max, from there up to Wyandotte, can it?

Quote:
The shoaling near the Detroit light appears to me to be 2 or 3 shallow spots south and west of the light. There seems to always be a lot of vegetation growing in the area. Also my charts are kind of old, and the shoaling my be nonexistant today. As I said I have not had a problem there, only a minor concern.
I'll keep my eye out. There is an old (IIRC) dumping spot approximately WSW (going by memory) of the Detroit light, just outside the down-bound shipping channel to Toledo. Could that be what you're thinking of? We plan to dodge that by sailing to a point a bit south of the Detroit light and getting into the channel there.

Quote:
Again I have never made the run from Wyandotte to the St Clair river without getting later into the day.
Hmmm... I was told about three hours from the mouth of the Detroit River up to where we're going on Lake St. Clair. Fooling with the GPS in simulator mode last night, it appears to be only about 12 nm. At only 4 kts that'd be three hours. If we're half-way up the river in Wyandotte (I'm going to have to take some measurements to confirm that's true or not), that'd be about 16 miles of river to go. If I can cruise that 14 nm under motor at only 3 kts SOG, that's another five hours, approximately. (I hope to be able to do better than that.)

Quote:
You may have better luck as stated earlier, it doesn't take a great deal of speed to do a horizon job on me generally.
"Horizon job?"

Quote:
Good Luck and have a good safe trip Wes Carroll
Thanks! And thanks again for the feedback

I've got my Lk. Erie/Detroit River chart, now, and my charting/plotting tools should arrive today. So tonight, maybe, I'll get the course formally plotted, put it into the GPS, and see what it comes up with for travel time.

JIm

Last edited by SEMIJim; 07-16-2007 at 09:29 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook