SailNet Community - View Single Post - J or Bene?
Thread: J or Bene?
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2014

benesailor is on a distinguished road
Re: J or Bene?

Quote:
like the design of the J/Boats, but have serious concerns about buying a cored hull for a cruising boat. Given your two choices, I would go with the Beneteau for that reason. An even better choice in my book would be a C&C 35 Mark I or II with a solid hull, or Pearson 10M and save $30K.
I agree. I'd want a serious survey done on the 34c before i'd consider buying. Hull, chain plates and deck. It's a lot more boat compared to the Bene. They definitely are to totally different styles of boats. One Euro, one old school.
On the Bene; see how the "chain plates" are attached to the inner hull liner? This arrangement is a good, solid attachement that is virtually leakproof. The Bene's of this vintage tend to be drier from my exprience. All the way around. The french have a lot of experience in engineering boats, especially Beneteau. Now......if you could get past the plastic look.......

Unfortunately; given where the OP lives a C & C is most likely out of the picture. Great sailing boats. Several years back i put a 34 thru a serious blow. 12' seas at a 7 sec freq. 40kts. One of the best, wildest rides of my life. I thought i was going to lose the rudder and rig. Rock solid boat. I have a new respect for C&C's; if that had been a different boat it might not have made it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook