SailNet Community - View Single Post - J or Bene?
Thread: J or Bene?
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2014
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Re: J or Bene?

As an owner of a C&C, Beneteau (a First 30E), CS and Pearson models at one time or another, and someone who has sailed most all the vessels suggested above, I have to say a unique pleasure in my sailing life was a week chartering a J34C.

Any experience we all may have had with racing model J's has no relevance to the J cruising boat. Simply the J/34c is one mean sweet boat, period. The quality of its construction and design is a league above anything the other builders have ever done, illustrated by the vessel's price and ABS A-1 classification. Practical Sailor has a good review of the J/34c that I recommend to anyone who has the wisdom and budget to consider one. I'd describe the boat more as similar to a performance Hallberg-Rassey than the builders mentioned above (and I loved my CS36T). If you have not been on a J34c or a sister model, you do not know what you are missing.

That said, no boat is perfect and I hesitated on an opportunity to buy the J34c due to its Volvo, and someone quicker got it. Its performance focus had some limitations, such as a crowded cockpit, and its not the cruising boat for many who have differing priorities than its strengths, but if you want performance and quality, its unique IMHO. Whenever I see threads about singlehanding, I think of J34c which somewhat uniquely presents the jib and main sheets right to the helmsman's seat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8260241.jpg (59.1 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by sailingfool; 03-28-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook