SailNet Community - View Single Post - How to sell a 32 foot Downeast sailboat
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: How to sell a 32 foot Downeast sailboat

CL here allows 10 pics which is similar to most YW listings.

Good pics are critically important for getting good responses. As for details, put the important stuff in - engine hours, last haul, last survey, sails, special gear etc. but don't run on for a full screen with every little detail - peoples eyes glaze over.

Put in enough to let them know if it's appropriate for them and let them call for more. If you haven't used CL much, I recommend stating first contact must be by phone - the real timewasters (lots) rarely phone first.

Around here we have a couple of other CL type sites - Kijiji and Used .... (Seattle?) - they seem to be more used than CL in some places - in Victoria for example, CL is almost unused but Used Victoria is very big.

Lastly, before you take pics, CLEAN IT UP. It is incredible how many pics are taken with crap everywhere, dirty dishes in the sink, even a turd in the toilet (really!).

On a boat that size, I'd spend at least a full day cleaning up the interior, taking off the keeper gear, taking inventory of the sale gear etc. Around here, keeping the green slime off the outside really matters as well.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 03-29-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook