Join Date: Nov 2000
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
need help choosing a windvane for center cockpit boat!
We''re hoping to get some advice to help us with this confusing decision! We''re refitting a 39'' center cockpit sloop (Mariner 39) to go away for a couple years on. Intend Caribbean/transatlantic.
1. Any experience with Scanmar''s Autohelm? We like that there are no lines fouling the aft deck and blocking seating in the cockpit (we''ll be cruising with our young daughter and want to minimoze obstacles!). However we are concerned about the added drag of having the rudder always in the water. Also my husband is concerned about the longevity of the little cables that link vane-rudder...
2. On a traditional servo-pendulum like Monitor, Aries, Sailomat, Fleming: how hard it it to disengage & get out of the way, those lines. Are they basically always there as obstacles or is it easy to get them out of the way when the unit is not in use?
3. Monitor specifically recommends NOT tying the unit directly to the steering gear (thus avoiding lines on deck) but my dad''s boat had the Sailomat hooked up that way. Any comments on that setup?
4. what do people know about the Atoms?
5. Any other comments or recommendations greatly appreciated!