SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fear of Heeling
Thread: Fear of Heeling
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2002

MaryBeth is on a distinguished road
Fear of Heeling

Bullseye,

Sorry, it''s a girl thing, but when you say all yachts are designed to ''heal'' that''s true in an aesthetic sense, I guess. I feel great on boats. To heal is to cure, to heel is to list seriously to one side.

Females have a much more sensitive inner ear. More than 70% of Meniere''s disease sufferer''s are female, I am one of them. I have never, ever been seasick in all that I have been through,(which has been some nasty crap, let me tell you, often taking care of those who were seasick) but after a few years on land I began to feel dizzy and sick. Long story short, after 2 surgeries, the last 6 months ago to have one of my inner ears removed, I have regained balance and sanity, tho I am deaf in one ear. Feel great now. I am just sooo glad that over the years I treated those with seasickness with respect and great care and tenderness. Karma comes around.

Unfortunately, one of the causes of that nasty, queasy feeling is fear. Not being in control causes fear. Thus my statements on steering and seeing that you are in control of the situation. Not to mention that oft times when it''s the "boyfriend" on the boat, he is sometimes a bit harsh and quick to bark direction and reprimands.

Fair Winds,
MaryBeth
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook