SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need Tips on Interior Mold
View Single Post
post #11 of Old 06-23-2002
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 27
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Need Tips on Interior Mold

Someone mentioned the toxicity of the mildew itself but I would like to comment on the toxicity of the things you''re all recommending to get rid of it.....

I am quite allergic to mold and mildew, so, obviously, this is a big concern for me. However, I am also very concerned anout toxicity (particularly carcinogens, as I am a cancer survivor) of cleaning products. When we bought our new boat, which we intend to live aboard, it was a veritable mildew farm. No dorade vents, can you imagine?! The first thing I did was scrub it down. On other boats I have used the diluted bleach solution. However I recently read that chlorine bleach is a known human carcinogen (the vapors that are given off during use.) So I looked into all of the commercial mildew killers. i went so far as to get the companies'' toxicity disclosure statements (forget what they are called) that they file with the gov''t. Well, they all say on the labels "use with adequate ventilation, do not allow skin exposure,etc." but the statement go into more detail about how frighteningly toxic they are. Also carcinogenic. There was one product, MDR Amazon''s Mildew Stain Away, which was not listed as toxic other than giving you some skin irritation if you, like, took a bath in it. I wore a respirator anyway (''cause I''m allergic to the mildew) and rubber gloves. I have to say that mildew has not reappared yet in the places I used it, although it has in the areas where I ran out and used the dilut bleach. And the boats been closed up with the same mildew-infested cushions still in it, for 2 months.

Hope that this is helpful. It''s just that after having gotten a cancer (out of the blue) which is being linked to environmental chemical exposure more each day, I am extremely wary about the millions of toxic chemicals we expose ourselves to all the time. Apparently it is a cumulative effect, so little bits over a lifetime are the real concern.

good luck!
staceyneil is offline  
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome