SailNet Community - View Single Post - westsail and tayana
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2002

Nereus32 is an unknown quantity at this point
westsail and tayana

I can''t speak of the Tayana, but as an owner of a Westsail 32, I can certainly speak in favor of my boat. It is tough, can take abuse, and is forgiving to amatures like my wife and I. We bought it for these reasons:

Big enough for my wife and I, yet small enough to single-hand easily.

The price was right.

It is over built and tought as nails - 1 inch of fiberglass in the keel! Find that in a newer boat.

Great support group - the Westsail Owners Association is very active and Bud Taplin, with his WorldCruiser Yacht Co. supplies any replacement part you need at reasonable prices. Not bad for a boat that''s been out of production for nearly 20 years.

In response to Jeff_H, Westsails don''t have wooden rudders and have solid pintles/goudgens and weather helm is greatly reduced by standing these boats up and sailing them with proper sail configurations.

I also wouldn''t shy away from a Westsail just because it was owner built. Westsail had good owner support and I have seen some beautiful kit boats. Many owners take a great deal of pride in their boats and some are better than others, so judge each on a boat by boat basis. For what you are looking to spend, you should be able to find a Westsail ready to go.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook