SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pan Pan - I am in a situation and could use some advice.
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2007
Operating life w/o a net

SchoonerMISTRESS is on a distinguished road
OK we made it through the last swing and so far so good. I cannot tell a lie, and I know both boats don't have engines therefore no fuel to spill. Sorry, if there was I sure would. About once every two months another motor boat threatens to sink and every authority known to mankind has been called, however, it is always the people here in the anchorage that do something about it. I know the Coast Guard goes above and beyond and for that reason alone I hate to involve them when life is not at stake. I DO NOT WANT TO SALVAGE ANYTHING. Remember, we just spent 6 & 1/2 years redoing MISTRESS. I WANT TO GO SAILING! Besides, it it usually impossible to get clear title.
Here is the other problem. This is a weekly occurrence here in lovely St. Augustine. I wish I was kidding or exaggerating, but we have abandoned boats all over the place. I have 4 anchors down and need to take care of a few more medical things before we can get the heck out. We set these anchors way south of everyone else, but hey, the tide turns and the wind changes, so nothing is certain. If a hurricane should come our way, there is no way we will stay here. While we know we can hold ground, it is all the abandoned boats or liveaboards that go no where and have old chafed gear, no engines, and an inability to know how to take care of their boats that has us worried. I have seen chain down here so long it looks like the kind of chain you would use for a small puppy dog in your backyard. This happens so often here, that none of the authorities will do anything, I know, I have called them all before and am very good at making sure they know I am documenting things, but alas, no results. The newspaper will do a story on it every so often when yet another boat sinks, but still nothing happens. Is St. Augustine the only one with this kind of problem?
PS I sit here fishing knowing I will land the biggest fish of my life and then the wayward boat is going to come my way. That's going to really piss me off.
Kathleen
aboard
Schooner MISTRESS
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook