SailNet Community - View Single Post - anchoring question
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2007

SanderO is an unknown quantity at this point
Sailingdog,

The windlass is NOT taking the load in my approach. Perhaps you don't understand that the load of the line is on a "bow" cleat which is 3.5' ± aft and slightly to the side of the vertical gypsy of the windlass. The line does exert some lateral force on the drum, but the cleat is doing all the work. The windlass drum is functioning the way a deck block might which changes the angle of the line 20 or 30° such as my halyard which then passes aft to a line stopper. The line stopper is taking the load, much the way the cleat does for my anchor.

In fact, the anchor line load is usually so little that I can "lift" the line off the drum or pull it away from the drum with not much effort. This is much less force than using the drum to pull the 1200# it is rated for.

The only use for chafe gear is when the bow is shearing too much and the line might just jump out of the bow roller and chafe against the ss cheeeks of the bow roller assembly. This is rare and to combat that I set a riding sail which will weathercock the boat and mitigate yaw. And finally the roller housing can accommodate a second roller which I can insert, using a removable SS pin slightly aft and above the bow roller. This "forces" or holds the snubber line down into the main stepped bow roller so it doesn't ride up to chafe against the cheeks.

However in most cases the snubber line rides on the bow roller with no chafe whatsoever.

The ultimate "no chafe" approach is to connect the bitter end of the mooring snubber to my bow eye. This gives me another 40' of 1" nylon rode added to the max 200' of chain and lowers the attachment point 2' increasing the scope ratio. No place to chafe. When the blow is over I can pull in some chain and take the load off the line and move or remove it.

Again, using a bridle mean using fair leads and in my case that means through the metal toe rail and this is a chafe point. This is the place where boats on moorings chafe through leaving the loop on the cleat!

Chafe is the enemy of the sailor.

jef
sv shiva

Last edited by SanderO; 07-19-2007 at 04:15 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook