SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fixed vs Folding Prop
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2007
yacht broker

captnnero is on a distinguished road
look before you leap

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Get a Kiwi Feathering Prop. It is less expensive than folding props and works quite well from all accounts.
Be careful before you buy one of these things. I've had one of these Kiwiprops for a year. They warn on their website about being overpitched in reverse and that is no joke. My max rpms in reverse are 1500 versus 2800 forward.

While it is easy to set the forward pitch in the water, there is no control of the reverse pitch, which with my M25XP is definitely overpropped in reverse. This mean that I must rev up to about 1300 before even selecting reverse or the engine usually stalls. It also means that the reverse thrust is weaker and sometimes the engine smokes when setting the anchor. After setting the anchor I rev the engine in neutral to clear the black out of the exhaust system.

The Kiwiprop does have some very innovative features and attractive pricing. I've followed their guidelines on the Kiwiprop website for reverse issues. After a year with this prop, I still feel that it needs some more development to provide reverse pitch control. In hindsight, I'd rather have spent another $1500 to get a more evolved design.
They do give you thirty days to evaluate the thing on your boat. In my case, that wasn't long enough before I realized the true shortcoming (in reverse) of it's design.

For my headstone:

If I'd only listened to those guys about that wing keel...

Last edited by captnnero; 07-19-2007 at 09:42 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook