SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sealing hull-deck joint
View Single Post
post #10 of Old 03-31-2014
Alex W
no longer reading SailNet
Re: Sealing hull-deck joint

I did the hull/deck joint on one side of my boat last year and it made a big difference. I'm doing the other side this year.

The quantity of work to do this depends a lot on how the hull/deck joint is assembled on your boat. I think my boat has it about as easy as is possible. We have an outward flange as shown here, although it has a teak toe rail instead of aluminum:

In addition to the parts shown there my boat has a rub rail which goes in between the teak and deck (that is held down by the primary bolts) and a decorative cover underneath.

Disassembling the hull/deck joint was pretty easy. First I had to remove the lower cover, which was held on by about 30 #10 screws. Then I had to remove the 3 teak toe rails, each held on by about 15 #14 screws. Finally I removed the rub strip which was held on by 5/16" bolts on roughly 6" centers. These bolts also held the hull and deck together. I put about half of those bolts back in to keep the hull and deck lined up. This is what it looked like as it came apart:

You can see a lot of the hardware spread out on my dock here:

Once apart I removed the existing bedding compound. The perfect tool for this is a Fein multi-tool or one of it's clones.

I rebedded with 5200. It took at least one tube of caulk to do one side of the boat. I would never use 5200 anywhere else on the boat, but I feel like this is a good application for a permanent bedding compound.

While the toe rails were apart I sanded and refinished them.

It looks nice all put back together (image at the end), but more importantly that side of the boat doesn't leak at all. I can't way to to do it to the other side.

I'm no longer participating on SailNet.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome