SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Replacing wood "curtain" with wood door in head area? Catalina 27

10K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  deltaten 
#1 ·
Hi -

My 1976 Catalina 27 has a wooden "curtain" that closes off the head. The rails along the top have come loose from the headliner, so the curtain just flaps...

Anyone know if I find a pre-made door (teak?) that I can just bolt into place on there? Just attach hinges on the bulkhead, and presto?

Thanks
Phillip

#4 ·
I dont see why you couldnt just put on hinges and hang a door made of marine-grade plywood as a quick fix. It doesn't have to look the best, just functional. Obviously the curtain wasn't offering any structural support anyway, so you wouldn't have to worry too much about the door carrying load or anything. Just fashion a door, stain it so it matches (maybe a coat of poly and/or epoxy if you're paranoid of water delaminating the ply), maybe put some handles on it, maybe a latch, and get back to sailing!

#5 ·
Do you have the swing room for a door? On many boats, a curtain was used, since there really wasn't sufficient space for a door to swing and still open enough to let a person through... Before going off and making a door, or even ordering the supplies for a door.... mock one up out of foamcore board or corrugated cardboard, and see what will work.

Also, you may have to leave the bottom of the door a bit above the cabin sole, especially if the cabin sole isn't completely level or flat.... so the door can swing properly.

#6 ·
sailingdog said:
Do you have the swing room for a door? On many boats, a curtain was used, since there really wasn't sufficient space for a door to swing and still open enough to let a person through... Before going off and making a door, or even ordering the supplies for a door.... mock one up out of foamcore board or corrugated cardboard, and see what will work.

Also, you may have to leave the bottom of the door a bit above the cabin sole, especially if the cabin sole isn't completely level or flat.... so the door can swing properly.
Ohhh, those are two good points. The door on my head has gaps at the top and bottom, because the sole and headliner are both curved.

If swing room is an issue, you might try measuring for a regular door, then slice it vertically up the middle to create a simple bi-fold door. Adds another set of hinges obviously, but it could work. You could even put the bi-fold door on a track at the top (like a closet door in a home), or, if you've left a gap at the top, just let it swing freely!

#8 ·
CP-

Does the door on your boat go all the way to the overhead and all the way to the cabin sole??? Or does it cut a bit short on the top and bottom?

#10 · (Edited)
I have been hanging doors in homes and commercial buildings for over 33 years, and make a very good living doing so. When you add in the idiosynchrosies that is a boat, the difficulty and time go up exponentially. This is not a project for the DIY'selfer, and even less so if you think that you are going to fabricate one from scratch and then install it. By looking at your pic, I personally would quote a price of $1,200.00 for the door, un -inished, plus another $500.00 for installation. Then you have the hardware and the varnish work to contend with. But those are L.A. prices--your mileage may vary............

Good luck,

Rick

#12 ·
From CP's description, any door you make should leave about an inch of clearance at the top and bottom.

#13 ·
My 1976 Catalina 27 has a wooden "curtain" that closes off the head. The rails along the top have come loose from the headliner, so the curtain just flaps...

Anyone know if I find a pre-made door (teak?) that I can just bolt into place on there? Just attach hinges on the bulkhead, and presto?
Door shouldn't be too difficult. Cut it out of plywood and then cover it with veneer... If you get creative you might be able to make it swing far enough to close off your V-Berth (or maybe not - have no idea what your boat is like inside... :) )

But I am really curious about what a "Wood Curtain" is ???

#14 ·
Hi Guys -

I'll try to take a pic of my wood curtain and post it here.
But - I'm intrigued by Paul's Catalina 76. Same year as mine, but has a real door.
Paul - which interior do you have? Traditional? Is the door original?
I'd love to see more picture of the door, and where it mounts, how it swings.

Thanks!
Phillip

#15 ·
I just built a maghogany door for my head. The size was 19.5 x 68.25. I got the tounge & grove mahogany 6 inch wide boards from a local cabinet shop for $35.00. I used a Z brace to hold it all together. My head also has a curtain that is pulled close when using the shower.

#16 ·
But - I'm intrigued by Paul's Catalina 76. Same year as mine, but has a real door.
Paul - which interior do you have? Traditional? Is the door original?
I'd love to see more picture of the door, and where it mounts, how it swings.

traditional, mounts to the forward bulkhead, full length piano hinge.

sorry, can't get pic's for about another week, we done gotz too much water up he-ya.

#17 ·
Hi Paul -
Are you up in Maine or something? Or does everyone outside the tri-state area talk like that? :D
Does your door look like it is OEM, or aftermarket? In the parts catalogue, it seems that they show the "wood curtain" for the head.
Please take pics (lots) when you get a chance. Or, if you are up in Maine, I could come up one weekend to see it (and buy you lunch as thanks) I'm in Boston.
Cheers
Phillip

#18 ·
Its OEM as far as I know, and no, I'm about as far as I can get from Maine, down here on the Tx/Ok border. In one of my previous moments of weakness, I was once married to a chicklet from Woodstock NB that now resides in Bath, ME. Is that close enough, eh?

With any luck, I'll get the current wahini (aka "TheCuban") to take a stroll with me tomorrow via the pontoon boat to grab some new pics.

#21 ·
I've got Paul's door, too. Which is to say, I ripped his off :)

Naaah. Catalina 30 door is a bi-fold door, slides to the side, cut short on the top by about 1.25"

Hey, Paul, on another subject--have you fixed your leaking windows--or do they not leak. I think mine have a leak, and I'm mulling over my options.

#22 ·
LOL, leaking windows. you're kidding right?

really, one of mine did leak, and I afro-american engineered them so now they don't.

#23 ·
CP-

That boat's heeled awfully far over... you really need to reef sooner... ;)

#24 ·
I have a 27 foot Cheoy Lee Offshore and the doors are a royal pain in the A$%! There is just not enough room to have them installed. I've decided to put in a curtain that I can roll up or push aside easily.

#25 ·
Maybe I can find a wrecked Catalina at the junkyard and get the door off it...
:D
I might just try to find a door that looks like that at some marine store, and install it with a piano hinge.
Paul - thanks for the photos (any chance you have the measurements handy? I know I'm asking for a lot).
Cheers
Phillip

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.