Thread: safe cooking
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014
Don't call me a "senior"!

Puddin'_Tain is on a distinguished road
Re: safe cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
while you guys are discussing electrical appliances on a boat, someone previously referred to microwave use on a boat. i had never considered that because i figuered the the energy requirements would be too great. out of curiosity ( i wouldn't want to actually use up the extra space ), how practical is microwave use on a boat? as far as battery usage, i mean.
Look at the current draw. Even a small micro way will require more current than a small boat can easily provide. Almost all compact microwaves call for a 15A circuit. Even if you can get away with 10A, that's 10A at 120V, or 1200W. In other words, the draw on your boat's batteries would be about 100A at 12.5V. On big boats, with big battery banks and gensets, that's doable. On a 27-foot boat, not likely.
Typed on my Underwood Finger-Flight Champion portable typewriter (in triplicate, using carbon paper), sent to my basement laboratory via pneumatic tubes, transcribed by Minions on a Commodore 64 (complete with 5 1/4" single-sided floppy), and uploaded to the Internets via 14.4 kbit/s modem. Ain't modern technology grand?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook