SailNet Community - View Single Post - Starrett-Jenks Morgan45 info-opinions
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014

Popeye21 is on a distinguished road
Re: Starrett-Jenks Morgan45 info-opinions

Stardate2010, you're the only other two masted Starrett I've run across. Do you have any snaps of it out of the water? I believe mine started out as a yawl, but was changed to a ketch. At least that is what the 1st owner told me. As some of you may remember, my SJ broke loose during Hurricane Issac and self sailed with ALL canvas up for about 6 hours before running aground a 2nd time, then when the waters receded, rolled onto its port side, filling the interior with lovely Mobile mud. We tried to get the mud out from behind the cabinets, etc. but it was still too damp. As you know, water does not evaporate in Mobile. We later had a problem with the cockpit scupper drain hoses not going overboard (hidden behind the genset) and we had water up to the floorboards and over in some places, which was now mixed with the kerosene we used to pickle the Perkins in hopes of saving that. Quite a stinky mess. So finally, we fixed the drainage problem, bought a 7500 BTU window ac unit from Lowes, installed it in the main hatchway, turned it on & left for a month which turned into 6. Let me tell you, ALL the mud in that boat is now dry sand. MUCH easier to remove. Ah, the adventures of refitting a boat a 800 miles from your house.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook