SailNet Community - View Single Post - Starboard has rights! I saw a nice crash tonight
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2007
CatSailor from Oz

alanl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to alanl
Not wishing to reignite the old and tired argument between racers and cruisers, I must add my displeasure at the "racing fraternity" who want to claim right of way, regardless of rules, or common sense.

I really do try to be considerate of racing boats, but unfortunately, the reverse is rarely the case. The number of times a dinghy, let alone a serious keelboat has come screaming across our bows is too frequent to count. Regardless of what tack they are on and whether they have the right of way, do they really believe my boat that does maybe 7knots is capable of getting out of the line they have chosen? Here in Sydney, there have been a number of spectacular crashes recently - some caused by nothing more than rank stupidity by the "dedicated sailors" who in my view, are unworthy of such a definition.

Roll on exclusion zones where these idiots are restricted. I for one will be glad to keep clear of them
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook