SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sugestion for a first boat Cruiser and Racer?
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2007

dumbguy is on a distinguished road
Sugestion for a first boat Cruiser and Racer?

Hey all...
I just got into sailing this summer and am loving it.... I"m racing two nights a week with my girlfriend on someones J/36 and we take classes one other night, and I'm trolling this forum extensively... it's a great resource
I'm on the east coast of Canada, we are both young, and other then a mortgage a fairly disposable income.

So my question is that I like sailing enough that I want to buy a boat anywheres from 1 year to now, to 3 years from now and I"m wondering what would be a good boat to buy that would be a good boat for club racing as well as limited to medium cruising or if such a thing exists and if I should jump into this boat right away or I should buy a "starter" boat first?

So... should I skip the starter boat? I have people recomending a Tanzer 22 for it's racing prowess and favorable rating, I also see a ton of people on here raving how great Tartans are for cruising... is there a hybrid to be found that would accommodate racing 2 nights a week (competitively) while allowing us to experience some cruising in a safe/reasonable/halfways comfortable manner?

My budget could be anywheres from 10K (for a starter boat, if I go that route) to 50K for an unbelievable deal that couldn't be passed up...

I appreciate your comments and suggestions... thanks for the help