SailNet Community - View Single Post - US Yacht 25' - Are they as bad as they say?
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2007

wannabesailor is on a distinguished road
US Yacht 25' - Are they as bad as they say?

Hi,

I'm getting ready to purchase a 25' US Yacht for $2500, but I recently read that they are built from the molds once used for Bayliner boats. Apparently Bayliner sold the design to Pearson, who built a few boats and then they sold it to US Yacht who used it for a few years in the early 80's. The boat I'm looking at seems pretty decent, and has everything I'm looking for (except headroom). It seems well built and solid, it has a split backstay, in mast halyards, in boom outhaul, cockpit forward traveler, Lewmar winches, an enclosed head, operable portholes, a decent sail inventory, etc.

I don't plan on having a survey done, as I don't think it's worth paying 20% of the boats purchase price to have someone tell me what I already know. I've gone over every inch and I haven't found any issues. No water penetration, no loose hardware, no chain plate problems, (teak bulkheads), no soft spots, nothing really stands out. All in all it appears to be a decent little boat, which makes me wonder why everyone I've talked to says they are pieces of junk. Has anyone owned or been intimate with one of these?

This picture is not the actually boat, but exactly like it.

US 25

Last edited by wannabesailor; 07-20-2007 at 11:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook