SailNet Community - View Single Post - Financing a Family Circumnavigation
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Financing a Family Circumnavigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_sailor View Post
Thanks for the details chall03, those are the kind of details I am trying to understand. I picked those parameters as rough guesses. I also didn't intend to over constrain to circumnavigating, perhaps sabbatical is a better term.

Boat: $100k
Yearly costs: $35k

Is still a solid $250k one had to come up with.

I could see that being in reach for retiring boomers with pensions or houses that appreciated during the housing boom. Might be tough for someone in their 30's today to get to

Josh
What we noticed in our travels is that probably 90% of cruisers living on whatever pensions/savings they have. Some live quite frugally some not. We did see quite a few cruisers in the late 20s to 35 year old group.
general observations:
- 35% singlehanders; 55% couples; 10% with young children (met a French couple in Panama who had two young ones and she was nine months pregnant. They were going to have the baby and carry on. The other kids had been born in Tahiti and New Zealand. They were on their way to Thailand

- 95%+ were cruising for a finite time before heading back to work. It was funny in South Africa because they had all sailed 20,000+ miles and were running out of money and going back (mainly Europe) to get a job. Some were going to just save money for a few years and then take off again, some were going to 'settle down' and have kids

- boat prices were $3000 to $25000 range with size from 27' to 34'

- monthly budgets were very low; highest might have been ~$1200; lowest $200ish? The $1200 people were able to rent cars and go off touring to Kruger park that sort of thing so they were not suffering.

- overwhelmingly they were European and especially from Scandinavia. Most of the Swedish and Norwegian boats we saw were young people.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook