SailNet Community - View Single Post - Coolant Question
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Hi Labatt,

I am not a diesel mechanic, so I will tell you what I do...

Regarding the overflow, assuming that is what you are talking about, yes, fill it up to the cold line. Your mixture should be 50:50 antifreeze and water. Also, with the engine cold, check the "radiator cap" and make sure she is full. I use automotive type antifreeze/coolant.

I would just add new coolant unless the old needed replacement. One word of warning that I have been exposed to: Often times when changing out the fluid, especially if flushing it clean, you will expose any pin holes. Watch for leaks if you do flush it. I am not sure why that happens, unless the flush cleans out the lines/rust that clogged the holes in teh first place.

One other question: Where did the fluid go?

Again, these are what I would do. If someone more knowledgeable knows better, please feel free to correct me.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook