SailNet Community - View Single Post - SHARKS
Thread: SHARKS
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2002

c172guy is on a distinguished road
SHARKS

I used to sail a Laser off of Myrtyle Beach,SC. Saw a lot of sharks dolphins and turtles. One shark 3'' followed me about 6'' behind for a few minutes. Once while I was circling a big ball of mullet a 4-5'' shark jumped clear of the water and went into the middle of the mullet ball. I didn''t know that sharks jumped until that happened. Once I saw a very large fin that almost scared me to death. Fortunately it was going away from me. Overall I saw the most sharks within a 100 yards of the beach. Usually they were following schools of fish. My wife saw a 12'' hammerhead inside of the breakers!!!!
While scuba diving in the Bahamas I was impressed by how curious and sneaky reef sharks can be. One cam up behind my buddy about a 6''er went to within 2'' of his head and then left. On the surface he confessed that he hadn''t seen the shark. On the same trip as was near the surface and watched a larger shark approach a couple from behind. It checked them out closely. Back on the boat they were completely unaware of the close encounter. I''ve never had one show the least aggression to me. But a buddy had one take a speared fish from him. As he was swiming away it bit his fin. I didn''t believe him until he showed me the teeth marks on his fin.
Later
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook