SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rafiki 37 owners out there?
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
Re: Rafiki 37 owners out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V HONU View Post
I never owned a Rafiki, but while in grad school in 1978 and '79 I worked for Bristol Marine in Alameda, CA taking Rafikis out of their shipping cradles and outfitting them for their new owners. I installed everything from heads to electronics (such as they were in the '70s). I will never forget the first time they handed me a drill and told me to put a hole in the bottom for a thru-hull. I'm not sure which hull number that was, but I hope she's still afloat. I only have spotty records, but know I worked on commissioning hull numbers 22, 23, 24, 25, and 26 in 1978. I looked at Rafikis online for a long time and considered many before I bought my Island Packet. Rafikis are/were beautiful boats and I am glad to know several are still traveling the oceans.
Thanks for posting Honu. I own hull #14, so I guess it was a bit before you were there. Can you tell us anything more about their outfitting or construction? I've never been able to find out anything about the company that made the boats: Western Pacific Yachts. Love to hear more.