SailNet Community - View Single Post - Singlehanded
Thread: Singlehanded
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2007

BarryL is on a distinguished road
How big is the boat?

Hello,

I didn't need anything to single hand my Catalina 22. Tie off the tiller straight ahead, climb on the cabin, raise the main, unfurl the genoa on roller furling, and sail away.
The mainsheet was at the end of the cockpit, easily within reach, the genoa winches were also easy to reach.

My Newport 28 had all lines led aft, wheel steering, mainsheet mounted on top of the companionway, and genoa winches out of reach from behind the wheel. With an autopilot and a furling genoa that boat was easier to single hand than the Catalina. I was able to raise sail and turn off the engine without ever leaving the cockpit. The biggest challenge was lowering the main. I had to stand on top of the cabin to lower and flake the main.

My current boat is an Oday 35. It has wheel steering with autopilot, selftailing genoa winches, self tailing winches for the main sheet, halyards, reef, etc. Lazy jacks, and, of course, genoa furling. This boat is also easy to singlehand. The lazy jacks allow me to just release the main, throw a sail tie around the middle of the boom, and be done until I get back to my mooring.

So, IMHO, for a boat over 25' you need
headsail furling
reliable autopilot
selftailing winches

Some form of mainsail lowering control, like lazy jacks, furling main, something like that would be very nice.

Good luck,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook