SailNet Community - View Single Post - Outboard Motor Bracket "not for use with 4 stroke engines"
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2007

petertribo is on a distinguished road
Outboard Motor Bracket "not for use with 4 stroke engines"

I am looking at an adjustable outboard motor bracket. I have found several brackets which take my motor size, Honda 8 four stroke, but state they are "not for use with 4 stroke engines". Supposedly, this has something to do with torque. I also realize that 4 strokes tend to be heavier than 2 strokes but how much heavier can they be. Or is there some other characteristic of Four Strokes that require a special bracket?

I give two example below. In the first the bracket is good up to 20HP but only apparently for 2 STROKE not FOUR. The second bracket is for only a 9.9 FOUR STROKE but costs $115 more.

Are these valid claims be the manufacturer or just a way to generate more profit on four strokes?

"7 FULTON ADJUSTABLE MOTOR BRACKET 20HP FULTON ADJUSTABLE MOTOR BRACKET 20HP
Stainless steel springs. Maximum 20hp (not for use with 4- stroke engines). Made entirely of non-corrosive material. CAD$169.95

31623 FULTON ADJUSTABLE MOTOR BRACKET 9.9HP 4 STROKE FULTON ADJUSTABLE MOTOR BRACKET 9.9HP 4 STROKE
Extra strength stainless steel torsion springs to counter balance motor. Heavy duty U channel construction for more stability. CAD$284.95 "
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook