SailNet Community - View Single Post - Outboard Motor Bracket "not for use with 4 stroke engines"
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2007

US25 is on a distinguished road
You're gonna have to spend the money. The 2-stroke brackets are just not designed for the larger, heavier 4-strokes. The 4-stroke brackets are generally constructed with channel aluminum, not flat bar, they have much stronger springs, they have larger and better grade bolts, and the mounting pads are wider. I put a 9.9 4-stroke (125lbs) on an old 2-stroke mount. I used it that was for about a month, and it didn't work very well. It took two people to lift the motor, as the springs were undersized, and the bracket would sway back and forth with the movement of the boat, making me very nervous, (hence the channel construction on the 4-stroke models). Note, that the mounting plates are much wider on the 4-stroke models, and will not line up with the holes from an old 2-stroke mount. Also....make sure you get one that has enough vertical lift, they range from 9" to 15.5". I bought the Fulton (which is on the boat now) but it does not drop the motor far enough into the water, creating problems if someone is on the bow, I just bought a Garelick, with 15.5" of travel (for $350!!!) and will be swapping it out whenever it stops raining. If you want to buy my like new, 4-stroke Fulton bracket let me know...

Last edited by US25; 07-21-2007 at 09:20 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook