SailNet Community - View Single Post - Maiden Voyage Newbie Trainwreck
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2014

BeejDeC is on a distinguished road
Re: Maiden Voyage Newbie Trainwreck

Ulladh, Take5.

Thanks,

The color just drained from my face when I read your post about the underwater dike T5.
Our initial plan had been to circle pea patch staying "in the white" around the northernmost marker for the dike. My charts and my GPS, while showing the structure, indicated I had 5 feet of water to spare, but I fig'd better safe than sorry.

Anyhoo, as we rounded the northern tip of pp island and were preparing to swing southwest around beacon E, (at the top of the dike) the shattering sound of a cargo vessel's horn hit us. In retrospect, he was doing the long blast to warn other vessels on the blind side of artificial island, but I thought it was directed at us. Like I explained previously, I couldn't really tell his bearing cuz lights weren't on yet and didn't want to cross his bow.

Long story short, in trying (incorrectly) to take him on my port side, I turned inside the hazard beacon. This was mid-tide, so I shouldn't have been dealing w mlt levels. That depthsounder went from 30 to 18 to 11 to 7 faster than should ever be possible motoring against the wind with an atomic4 pushing you.

That's sorta where the trip fell apart/became a good story. I shrieked like a 12yo girl, hard over to starboard about 130 degrees and rounded the outer marker.

So this begs the question, what's the bottom line if the chart shows an acceptable low-tide depth and a hazard? I had thought depth was "water still above any hazard?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook