SailNet Community - View Single Post - San Juan 21
Thread: San Juan 21
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
San Juan 21

Just soliciting some opinions...

I think I am pretty much decided about this boat. I posted what's below to a local group and got a few replies all positive, including invitations to come check one out, join a local club and these local (very nice) guys are filling up my inbox with links to some deals nearby that fit my budget. There are local guys who want to race and go crusing and have some family outings and whatnot. This is also true of a few other boats, but so far this model looks the most promising for me, my family and my budget. But I figured I would let the wider community take some pokes at the idea before I take the leap...

From the forum at NCSail:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I want a San Juan 21
arbarnhart

Not right away, but hopefully within the next year or two. The reason for my post is to solicit opinions, pro and con. Here is my thinking...

The features on my wish list:

Trailerable with a reasonably "normal" vehicle.
Room for family of 6 (the kids are small right now, and we would rarely all be on at once, but every now and then)
Can be single handed
Reasonably stable and self righting if I get too crazy (and I do want to be able to get a little crazy sometimes)
Beachable
Cuddy cabin where a kid or two could nap and a camping potty could be kept/used. Bonus points if it will actually sleep adults for a weekend.
Fairly low cost (around $2K or less if possible)
Good for local lakes and sounds; not looking to do real blue water in this boat (maybe the outside route from Beaufort to Lookout at most)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook