SailNet Community - View Single Post - How Much Water?
Thread: How Much Water?
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2007

DrB will become famous soon enough
How Much Water?

Like many of you, my boat is on a mooring. Probably not like a lot of you, my boat is moored in the Northeast US where tides are 7 to 9 ft.

My boat is a fixed keel and draws a 5' 11" draft.

How Much Water Depth Is Recommend Based on A Boats Draft? Draft + 3, 4, 5, X feet? What's the consensus?

The Story:

I recently obtained a mooring in a location where the depth at MLLW is about 8 ft. I beleive that this is the case because based on the my chart of the area I am in, the depth is noted as 8 to 12 ft. I also monitored my depth today, using my depth meter, at low tide and the meter read 7.9 ft. Since this is a new boat, I don't know if the meter is calibrated to include the depth from the waterline to give the overall drepth from the waterline or just measures the depth below the transducer. The depth meter transducer is in the bilge and measures through hull. I estimate that the bilge is 1.5 ft below the waterline. So if it is measuring from the bottom of the boat, the 7.9 would now be 9.4.

When I applied for my mooring permit with both the harbormaster and mooring company, I clearly stated that my boat draws 6' of water. When the Mooring company that installed and placed the mooring told me it was ready, I ask what the depth, at low tide, was the boat in and they replied about 10 ft. 10 ft would be fine, but I am concerned if it is truly 8 ft.

I guess I'll wait until low tide again and measure with a long stick to get an idea of the true depth.

DrB

Last edited by DrB; 07-21-2007 at 08:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook