SailNet Community - View Single Post - safe cooking
Thread: safe cooking
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2014
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: safe cooking

those intending to cruise to mexico and other places should research the availability of stove fuel.
mexico does not allow kerosene nor alcohol for stove fuel . only propane, which is readily available everywhere. if you try to transport kero over border, it will be taken from you.

btw, brent sain, alcohol fire flames are difficult to see. when something or someone is on fire with alcohol fuel as the accelerant, it is not visible, except for the blisters being made on the skin or in the paint of the race car or in the fiberglass inside the boat.
the formosa i bought had had 5 galley fires before i bought and changed the non pressurized alcohol stove.
when i watched po of my ericson light a 3 ft tall flame in the ericson i ultimately bought, i decided then and there to convert to propane. is much safer.
try adding fuel to a burner of an alcohol stove while in a seaway while underway with following or quartering 8-12 ft seas.... i dare ye..is how 5 pos burned this formosa...
enjoy .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zeehag; 04-03-2014 at 09:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook