SailNet Community - View Single Post - From Dinghy Sailor to Cruising
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2014

GreenNonic is on a distinguished road
Re: From Dinghy Sailor to Cruising

there is a couple on youtube, with a channel about their cruising , they didn't take any courses in fact the one guy barely knew how to sail, they have videos up going from Alaska, to Hawaii , as long as your relatively smart , and not prone to rushing out you'll be fine . i have little experience with sailing let a lone cruising . I've been reading a lot and from what i read, it's really not that hard, if you pay attention to the weather before planing your tip and leave during windows of fair weather it's prolly better and safer too, i have also read not being in a particular hurry also helps, things like reefing the sails before it's dark, regardless of weather make cruising slower, but a lot less stressful, trying to reef a sail in 40 knot winds and stuff is not very easy, according to the videos i see of people doing that anyways. classes and stuff can't hurt you, but i don't think they are totally necessary , you can also join a yacht club, they will have a lot of sailors, and a lot of info and help, and usually it doesn't cost all that much to be part of a yacht club (for me in Ohio it's around $1,000 to $1,500 a year + or - 500 depending on if you use slips or whatever and how big your boat is, it sounds like a lot, but really it's not that much since I've seen one sailing class cost 1k before.
I am going to join a yacht club before i even have a boat, i figure i can help out around the place, help people with their boats and stuff I'll learn a lot just doing that , i really don't have much desire to cruise though my family does live in Florida so that option is open eventually whenever i get a boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook