SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cal boats seaworthiness
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Cal boats seaworthiness

I race on a Cal 25 quite frequently. These are nice little boats. They can often be found for sale quite inexpensively and nciely equipped. For the dollars there are few small boats that offered a better balance of accomodations, and sailing ability for the dollars. They are really a hoot to race as they are pretty evenly matched in speed between a highly prepped one and one ''off the shelf.

All of that said, in stock form these are really not my idea of a ''boat to go anywhere". There are a number of reasons that I say this but most are related to the risk of downflooding in a knockdown or following sea. There is a big notch in the transom for the outboard that means the risk of flooding the cockpit in a following sea or even a powerboat wake as we have done. When combined with the cockpit sole level companionway and open sail lockers and poptop on some of these boats, Well you get the picture. Obviously these can be corrected but not easily.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook