SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina 310
Thread: Catalina 310
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2002

MagicIII is on a distinguished road
Catalina 310

I have owned two Catalinas. First a c-30 that I bought back in 1980. So it was a Chevy. But I passed many boats. Many with B''s, H''s, T''s and you name it. Costing many thousands more. The C-30 Chevy is and was a classic. Great sailer. And roomy interior. And can be purchased on the market for very reasonable prices.

I got a New C-36 a year couple years ago. Why? There were and are in such demand that the nearest boat on the market was 2000 miles away. The good ones were gone in a couple weeks.

Dealer and warranty service. I purchased the boat at Hellier Yachts and during the warranty period they were just a phone call away. Problems were taken care of within days. After the warranty period expired I discoverd a void in the cockpit. The Reeds a traveling husband wife team in a RV working exclusively for Catalina fixed it and it is undistinguishable where the repair was made. All covered under warranty as Butler gives us a little slack her in the North east because of the short season.

Warranty service has been excellent. And how does she sail? A great cruiser but in my second season I won 4 pieces of silver in Canvass PHRF races. If I can get my two sons together for crew (lately I am crew) we can do some damage. I have the wing keel not supposed to be great for racing. Doesn''t point as high but she likes to do screeming reaches.

New or used? Most of us can now sell our boats for what we paid for her or maybe even a little more. But the previous writer is correct. A recent boat used is a good buy if you can find one.

The C-31? She looks fast and great lines. She looks like a great boat. Great for a young couple or for older empty nesters. And she looks like should could race well.

Bill

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook