SailNet Community - View Single Post - good boat for the long run with eventual very long trips in mind
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2007

AmeriCdn is on a distinguished road
good boat for the long run with eventual very long trips in mind

I am hoping you guys could direct me to a proper bioat. i am currently a fairly in-experienced at I have been taking lessons and crewing on a few shboats in my area owned by family friends. I am looking to get a boat of my own, a bit of a fixer upper, but not too much work involved. I plan on taking it from first New York down the coast to Miami area. From there I woudl like to take it to the keys and virgin islands. My work allows me to work aboard the boat at sea because I do design work on the computer and generally can get away with just e-mailing my work and calls once a month.

So the boat, I am looking for something fairly easy, very sea worth for the future but also good for living aboard and spending time on. I sailed, and actually liked a westsail 32. I loved the looks, the cabin was fantastic, and although slow and un-responsive, it was still perfectly fitting for my needs. So i'd love something laong those lines. I 'd like my initial purchase to be if possible in the 40-60, preferably 40 area for a "sailable" fixer upper with the intention of investing for quite a few years into it and workign on it. I have the time so I want a good project, but structurally sound, simply more cosmetic work such as interior needing to be done.

I was looking at tartans as well.

Recomend me soemthign good that will last a long time and can be easily handled by one man.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook