SailNet Community - View Single Post - Steep/Breaking Waves
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2007

tsingtao is on a distinguished road
KeelHaulin,
Thanks for the info. Sounds like theory and practical are two entirely different things. With all the talk about "breaking waves" was trying to find out how you could anticipate/predict them. Looks like you are in deep doo doo long before the theoriretical point, at least the way it's calculated. You're right about the bouy averages--Pt Conception and Pt Arguello taught me that. Bouy data said 6' at 9". Know there were MUCH larger sets. Real question is still, looking at forecasts and bouy reports, wind aside, what sea conditions trigger the response "I,m gonna sit under a tree with a cold one" and wait for things to calm down? All this assuming your intent is a coastal passage from one safe harbor to the next. After analyzing available data, would like to be able to visualize what I'm going to encounter. Is the "square wave" a real life indicator? What is the "community" standard for sensible operations? Have the Capital Yachts site on my favorites and just found the Newport forum. Thanks.

Last edited by tsingtao; 07-24-2007 at 02:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook