SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tandem in-line anchor setup
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Ok, let's see if I can explain how I do it.

I do not keep the smaller front anchor on the bow roller, only the main. My boat has a pretty big anchor locker, and I keep the small Danforth there, on a side shelf I had made for it during construction. The Danforth has a permanent 3 meter (10 feet) line attached to it at all times. Why 3 meters ? that is the length required to clear my bow when it is hanging vertically from my main anchor.

This is what I do, once I need to anchor, I remove the line attached to the Danforth, keeping the anchor still inside the locker, I tie it with a bowline to the main anchor's head. Now at this stage the main is still in the roller. But if you have double rollers itís the same.

I remove the Danforth and drop it slowly, by hand (because my bow is very vertical, plum??). Now the Danforth hangs from the main anchor, and its shaft clears the bottom of my bow because of the 3 meter rope, which also allows for clearance should the boat rock or move while we are setting up.

I then use the drop anchor electric button to descend the main, as it descends, the danforth goes in front of it.

I let the anchor set naturally, and power back a little to help the set.

It normally holds on first drop, because of the two anchors.
I believe the key to not having ever fouled the danforth on the plow is the small 3 meter line.

Val, I have used this anywhere from 13 feet (as you know I draw 10 feet so canít go any lower), at low tides to 26 feet at high tides in Culatra, with the stong currents we have there.

I have also used it as deep as 80 feet in Cascais. This is a common procedure used here, and I have never ever fouled it once. I have used a tripping line attached to the main anchor, as its less stuff to pull up, as opposed to attaching to the danforth, then having to pull the danforth and the tripping line.

TB, I explained how I have it stowed above, itís a USE AS NEEDED system, only when we are moored for a long time, and the current is strong, as in that case. On normal day to day few hour anchor, I donít bother.

The system is pretty simple, attach, drop, then anchor normally.

Donít forget that once the main is stored in the roller, the boat is loose, so be quick at pulling the tandem anchor, or you will be moving.

It does not soil the deck because it goes straight into the locker. A friend of mine as a Anchor holder in the pull pit near the roller, so his system is even better.

As I said, I have used this for 20 years now, never had a problem, I know that as the current changes, the plow moves first, and sets normally, if it drags, the danforth sets again, helping the plow set also, by pulling its head down.

Again, 2 tides a day, both direction and up to 5 knots current sometimes, the current is so strong, that sometimes, my boat being light is facing a different direction than the other boats!!!

Everyone got used to see my boat facing weird directions, and stay away from me!! Ehehehehehe

I hope this helps.

Please remember this is my technique, others may have theirs, and their opinions, and what notÖ.that may vary with conditions, sea beds and windsÖ

Alex

"The Portagee Cowboy"

PS..Craig I don't want a new anchor (VBG)

Last edited by Giulietta; 07-24-2007 at 06:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook