SailNet Community - View Single Post - Free boat for me - lots of questions
View Single Post
post #9 of Old 07-02-2002 Thread Starter
Free boat for me - lots of questions

Thanks for all the replies so far. I am getting less sure about this as time passes. I have yet to hear from the person who supposedly needs to get rid of this boat so badly, and I think I am changing my mind.

I have decided it would make a lot more sense for someone with my limited experience and funds to first get some schooling on the matter. I will be taking a basic keelboat course next weekend and joining a local sailing club. Hopefully within a couple of months I can get bareboat certified and just rent boats for a while.

It seems like probably the best idea for me. I will get to learn, sail many different sizes and models of boats, and depart from different ports. For the amount I would have been paying for the slip I had waiting for me, I can rent a 28'' boat for 24 hours twice a month.

Of course I am still interested in looking at the boat. For all I know, "a lot of work" means there is a scratch in the wood on the nav table and a rip in the upholstery. If it seems like a steal I will still take it, but I have no reason to believe it is anything more than a neglected project boat which would be more of a headache than it''s worth.

After all, what I really want is not to own a boat so I can feel cool, it''s to get out on the water and GO SAILING!
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome