SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tandem in-line anchor setup
View Single Post
post #13 of Old 07-25-2007
Craig Smith
Anchorsmith

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoOkay View Post
I thumbed thru CW on my way out this morning and they had an article about setting 2 anchors in line, not at 45 angle. The diagram showed chain running from the crown of your primary up to a second one. If your primary drags it will only settle the second one deeper.

I have never used this particular setup, can anyone comment on their experience with this?
Argh.

I can comment. Thanks for the intro Giulietta.

I will comment that -
  • Using anchors of multiple types, particularly a Danforth, is asking for trouble.
  • Shackling to the trip-line attachment point of a CQR, Delta, Bruce, or other anchor with this feature, is asking for trouble.
  • Giulietta's mentions in this thread, and the past, have covered very light loads. 3-5 knots current is not at all significant. In the more extreme conditions the technique should be reserved for, he will get the trouble he has been asking for.
On the trip-line attachment point - any article instructing this be used for a tandem anchor is incredibly ignorant and should be condemned. I cannot state this point forcefully enough.

Otherwise, I will only redirect readers to my article on the topic. The issue is involved enough that what I've written is over 5000 words, and that's the concise version. Those serious about needing this technique will take the time to study the issue carefully.
http://www.rocna.com/boat-anchors/tandem-anchoring.php

Now, on behalf of all anchor salesmen, particularly those representing the better types, I encourage the reader to do as many things wrong as they possibly can. We tend to notice a connection between dragging and scary experiences, and subsequent new Rocna sales...

Craig Smith

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailnet Disclosure: Craig is the son of the designer of Rocna and has a financial interest in its success.

Last edited by Craig Smith; 07-25-2007 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Change
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome