SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tandem in-line anchor setup
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
Even with different names, they are similar to the Danforth and CQR, aren't they?
Very similar. The English term is "knock-off". A less common knock-off is of the Bruce anchor, a non-articulating plow type. A real Bruce is forged, not cast, and is expensive, but in certain conditions is a very nice anchor to have.

The CQR gets its name in English because it sounds like "secure" when you run the letters together...a subtlety a Portuguese English speaker might not have immediately "heard".

We English-speakers are constantly fooling around with our own language. It's amazing anyone else bothers to learn it, really.

You and "Mr. Lead Head" should speak English to each other occasionally, just so he can get some practice. He's surprisingly good, considering he doesn't get the opportunity you get travelling on business. Fred's English is unbelievable, and even Giulietta's is pretty good. The thing that amazes me is how "light" their accents are...you know I know a Portuguese accent when I hear it, and Fred sounds like a Canadian kid half the time. It's only when he hits an unfamiliar or strangely-spelled word in English that I can hear the innately Portuguese element in his pronounciation.

But I digress...(I am waiting for a client to call so I can finish my job and go sailing...you know how this is.)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook