SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tayana 55
Thread: Tayana 55
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Labatt...Well...nothing really different than any of the Taiwan boats of the 80's and early 90's.
Decks...blisters...tanks...chain plates seem to be the problem areas and need to be looked at closely. Nothing to worry about in the structure or hull layup.
Of course engine needs a survey as well. There are VAST differences in these boats based on care/upkeep over the years. I looked at many Taiwan CC boats before I bought mine. I generally knew within 5 minutes to walk away from a boat and given your Passport experience now...I think you will find the same.
One thing I would caution on the 55 is that the air draft and keel depth are NOT good for East Coast bridges ICW and the Bahamas. I don't think they made these in anything except a sloop/cutter so I would pay attention to mainsail handling system and genny...as they have to be a handful without electrics. They trade very close in price to the T52 since they are not as desirable...but the layout may meet your family needs.
Hope that helps a bit.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook