SailNet Community - View Single Post - 21st century technology on a shoestring budget
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2007

patrickbwells is on a distinguished road
21st century technology on a shoestring budget

Sure, I'd love to have all of the newest chart plotters, sonar, radar, and super-giga-band radios, But after paying the boatyard, Interlux, and West Marine for project supplies I've found myself a little short on cash. Last night I was introduced to Google Earths real-time GPS tracking capabilities and also how to create nautical chart overlays. The result was awesome! I found the interface to be infinitely more appealing and user friendly than any of the navigation software/hardware I have seen so far.

What I would like to know is what other new technologies have Sailnet users found, both software and hardware, that make there journeys pleasant and safe. I have read a little about digital vhf transmissions that contain a ships heading, velocity, etc and I was wondering if there is a way to interface this into Google Earth, or another pc application. I'd like to hear about the emerging technology and "hacks" available to the twenty first century sailor.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook