SailNet Community - View Single Post - Baby seat in cockpit
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Baby seat in cockpit

Since my wife and I sailed up until about a month before our daughter was born, I suppose one could say our daughter began sailing when she was -1 month old. Subsequently, she began sailing with us when she was 5-6 months old. In a car-seat when awake and in a bassinet suspended from the overhead (in the manner of a hammock) when sleeping. (The "hammock" was on a short tether buffered with a bungee cord so it remained "level" regardless of the roll or pitching of the yacht to prevent her suffering sea-sickness. It worked.)

As she became older, she sat in a car-seat lashed in the cockpit, facing aft, where she was protected from sun and sea by the dodger but able to see out and about. When she was up to it, she was allowed to walk about in the cockpit wearing a PFD with a tether so she could help me "drive".

Now in her early twenties, she says her best "childhood" memories are of our family travels on the yacht but that she's still unhappy with me and her mother about our selling our "little boat" (our 1976 Cal 2-29) in favor of our "big boat" (1986 First 42) even though it gave her her own cabin.

Pictures following (I hope!):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hy Sailing--0001.jpg (62.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg A Kiss for Wind.jpg (40.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4925.jpg (56.4 KB, 23 views)
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 04-09-2014 at 01:08 PM. Reason: correct typo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook