SailNet Community - View Single Post - Practical Sailor magazine
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Practical Sailor is sometimes not too practical. I let my subscription lapse because of their bias towards testing of items mostly applicable to only the high end, cruising sailor.

I also was somewhat less than impressed with some of their testing methodology. Some of that can be ascribed to the limited resources that subscription revenue only dictates. Some of it can be ascribed to preconceived notions showing themselves, which is something that Consumer's Report shares as a weakness. CR's automobile reviews are next to worthless if you know and love to drive. Car and Driver seems to be able to call 'em like they see's 'em, publish an excellent rag, and still keep ad dollars rolling in. Don't hold your breath waiting on the CR review of high performance rubber for your Honda Civic or the radar detector review. PS could, in my opinion, do much better with some selected ad revenue, and expanded, more thorough, testing.

The fact that they are somewhat mis-guided can only be seen by the evidence here. Sailnet only needs one designated subscriber and he'll update the rest of us. PS needs to deliver more bang for the buck to get my mailbox open again. Good Old Boat currently has priority.