SailNet Community - View Single Post - Smoke from air conditioner
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2007
all these confusing ropes

dohenyboy is on a distinguished road
Smoke from air conditioner

Have a question that is out of my expertise and so I ask for help.
Started one of the airconditioning units yesterday. Its a Marine Air 16K model from their compact line. Do not know how old it is, but I gues at least 5-6 years. Had not been run for about 3 months. Temperature was 90 F, was powered by 7.5kW generator. Only other load was the airconditioning circulating pump.
After a few minutes, I noticed smoke coming from the cold air vent, smelling like burnt motor. The breaker tripped.
Later that day I removed the cabinet cover and started the unit again. On these models there is a rotary switch with "Start"--only runs the blower-- and "Run"--compressor runs as well. This time I started it on "Start" to see if smoke would come out (indicating the blower was bad). No smoke. Switched to Run and no problem.
Since I am unable to reproduce the problem, I don't know what to repair. Why would smoke come out one time and not the next time. What would cause the smoke, just a motor wearing out? I thought it would have been caused by motor overload, but it did not smoke the second time. If its the blower, should I replace it now, or just wait till it happens again? What else could cause the smoke? Or could it be the compressor? Do I have some other intermittent wiring problem?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook