SailNet Community - View Single Post - Outboard Motor Bracket "not for use with 4 stroke engines"
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Peter-

The other point is that if you're using the four-stroke outboard as the primary auxilliary engine for your boat, and you go cheap on the bracket... there is a much higher chance that the bracket will break if you're motoring in heavy weather or seas. Murphy's law says that the bracket will break in such a situation and possibly lead to you losing the entire boat. Is that really worth saving $100 or so???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuapaa View Post
Aloha Peter,

Looks like you've already received some very good advice... just my $0.02 worth, but I'd spend the extra money and get a bracket rated for the type and size OB I intended to use and not cut corners.

True, there are occasions where 'the biggest, most expensive' choice is a waste of money, but for a crummy $115, is it worth losing an OB?

As with lots of things in life, you generally get what you pay for; Just MHO. All the best to you what ever course you choose.

John K.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook