SailNet Community - View Single Post - hurricane storage in tropics
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2014

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Re: hurricane storage in tropics

Which yard are you using? Some are better than others. Power Boats and Peakes are probably the best known. If you're in one of these yards, seek the advice of the staff. They know what works. You don't need to pull the stick unless there is work to be done on it. They'll charge storage on it if you pull it.

AC is good but it needs to be watched as it can "over-dehumidify" the interior and you'll end up with cracked woodwork.

Get all the food off. Buy some axel grease and build a grease barrier to crawling insect invasion. Put a ring around all jack stands, around the keel blocks, around anything that goes from ground to anywhere on the boat (e.g. hoses, shore power connection). Block the exhausts and anything that provides shelter to small birds and or flying insects. Put screens on your dorade vents for the same reason. Get the boat really clean inside and out. A shrink wrap cover with proper ventilation is good as it keeps things dryer and will reduce the damage done by tropical UV levels. . Take your sails off and any fabric (dodger) off, clean and dry them and store below. Get all your running rigging off, clean, dry and stored below. Anything that can stay damp will mildew quickly...it will rain a lot during the summer and even when it doesn't the humidity will be >90% most of the time.

I would recommend you consider hiring someone to go aboard every couple of weeks to check on things like the AC, the charge in the batteries, start of mold or mildew build up, and the general security of the boat. Boats that are being looked after by a local are likely to fair better than those that are left to the forces of nature.

Trinidad is a good place to have work done, but seek the advice of the yards on who to use and who to avoid. If you're using Power Boats, send me a PM. I've stayed with them twice and can give you further info. I have friends who have stored with Peakes for 10 seasons that I can put you in touch with if you want.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to billyruffn For This Useful Post:
goldilocks (04-11-2014)